While on vacation in northern Maine I became insanely grateful for the new washer we got a year ago. Our cabin has running water in the summer months thanks to a pump that pulls water up from the lake (which coincidently decided to up and die a few days before we left so now we have a sparkly new one) but the washing machine there is not wired for hot water.
Those of you familiar with the mess that is baby poo are probably now cringing at the idea of a baby wearing a diaper that has only been washed in cold water. Since I couldn't stomach the thought of my daughter in an unsanitary diaper I resolved to hand wash the diapers in water I boiled on the stove.
I did the process a total of 3 times while we were there for 9 days. I took the soiled diapers out to the side lawn and sprayed off the diapers with the hose, effectively rinsing them.
While I was doing this, I had a stock pot of water boiling on the stove. I would take the pot outside when I was done rinsing and pour 3 tbsp of Rock in Green detergent and a scoop of All plus oxy into the hot water and add the diapers. I swished them around and let them soak for a while while the water cooled down.
After the water was cool enough for my hardened hands to touch I would ring out the diapers and stack them to bring inside. I then ran them through the wash without adding soap.
Twice they had to go in the dryer due to rain, but once I was able to hang them out in the sun. They were stiff but stain free after that.
So that is my tale of what it means to be a hard core cloth diaperer :)
That is pretty hard core. I think I would have given in a bought some Huggies.
ReplyDelete