Saturday, June 4, 2011

Bicycles, Bushes and Bad Influences

Friday's post... sorry it's late, I passed out as soon as SweetPea fell asleep :)

Today was a wonderful day with the kids. At 10 we took a walk down to the park. SweetPea slept in the stroller and Zman walked carefully beside the stroller and listened diligently when I told him to stop and wait.

That said, I was quietly fuming at how negligent other adults were around us. They were such bad influences for Zman.
As Kimmy or anyone who spent time with me in Boston or Glasgow can attest, I am a champion traffic dodger.I almost never wait for the signal at the crosswalk. But I'm not alone anymore. I'm trying to teach my son good city walking rules. We wait at every intersection for the walk signal. It makes a simple walk to the bank and back take 45 minutes but the repetition of safe crosswalk behaviors make it more likely that he will perform these actions when he is old enough to walk around on his own.
As we waited for the walk signals adults would blaze past us and nearly knock Z over. When the signal would indicate it was safe to cross cars would still turn across the walkway. Most were turning right, but one brazen jerk turned left on red in a squeal of tires on walnut street.

But the intersections weren't the only problem areas. As we walked down the sidewalk we had to dive out of the way of grown men riding their bikes on the sidewalk. This was only made more difficult by the lack of responsible lawn ownership displayed by many homeowners along our path. If you have a bush to divide your property from the road it is your responsibility to keep it trimmed. My poor son is going to think all bushes will make you itchy because I kept having to scootch him away from poison ivy that was growing up unkempt branches. And don't even get me started on the dog poo. I should be able to write a citizen citation to every dog owner who lets their beast poop and doesn't pick it up!

The walk may have been a trial, but it was so worth it. The day was gorgeous and Z thoroughly enjoyed playing with his Scotland friends.

After lunch we hit up the Lutz children's museum for the second time this week. Before we left Z tried to take a rest (actual napping was unlikely) and when I opened his bedroom door I found him playing with the baby powder; there was "snow" all over the floor!

The time at the lutz was fun, Z climbed into bed with yet another little girl.(I know, what am I teaching this kid ;) ?) He even took his shoes off and made her do the same, it really was rather cute. His lack of nap did start to show in problems obeying commands and sharing so we packed it up and headed home.

We had dinner with my in laws per Friday night tradition. I made a huge chef's salad with Veggie protein deli ham-like slices.(My FIL is a vegetarian, so all Friday night meals are vegetarian). Z loves seeing them and MDH was able to get in an hour of playtime with Z before he had to put him to bed. Pottytime was attempted, but did not garner any stickers (more on Pottytime summer plans in another post).

All in all it was a pretty busy day, perhaps too busy. I think SweetPea would have benefited from being home in the afternoon were I could manipulate her feedings better, she is having trouble staying awake while nursing and the result is she isn't getting enough high-fat milk. It is something I can remedy at home, but it is harder to focus on that in a public environment.

This weekend promises to be packed, MDH is gone helping a friend move so it's just me and the kids, we're going to go visit my family so Zman can see faces other than mine all day long. We shall see how it goes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment