Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Poo Whisperer aka Baby Guided Breastfeeding & Allergen Testing

For the last week and a half I have been restricting my diet and hovering over my daughter's poo like it holds the secrets of the known universe.
It has been frustrating trying to decipher what's bothering her when I cannot communicate with her about what is going on inside her. All I get are messages in a bottle :)

It's especially disheartening when she is colicky and in distress, I try to let her know through tone and body language that I understand something isn't right and that I am trying to help her. But watching as she squirms and fails her arms around while trying to nurse just breaks my heart.

I had actually forgotten how pathetic she looked earlier last week, and how anxious and sorry it made me (I did eat the offending food, afterall). That is, until last night's episode and tonight.

I had forgotten because after 4 days off of eggs, soy and dairy she turned back to normal. Her poo was the right color, her eczema wasn't inflamed anymore and she slept 6-8 hours at night. This weekend felt good and I was excited to change her diaper and see the message of success.

But on Monday I tested eggs as our first food challenge. I had them for dinner Monday night and for lunch on Tuesday. By Tuesday night, the colickiness was back. This afternoon and evening the poo was back to icky mucousy green, and as I type this she is trying to nurse while squirming like a fish on a hook.

I am trying to let her guide when she eats and for how long. When the evil green poo first appeared it looked like a classic case of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, so I stopped waking her up to eat and decided to be at her beck and call regarding feedings. This has been working out and I've enjoyed her schedule. But until I changed my diet the evil poo did not go away.

So yeah, I feel like this post is scattered, but I hadn't wrote in a while and I wanted to get an update out. I think she's allergic to eggs and I won't be eating any for a while and hope she will feel better by the weekend.

That's it for now as she just spit up all over me, Ahh... motherhood.

1 comment:

  1. Poor baby. Hopefully it's just eggs, and she'll grow out of it. You're a very dedicated mom for doing this for her.

    ReplyDelete